STAY

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
In the heat of the sun, running from pole to pole looking for where to hide I stood with my little brother wondering when this predicament would end. Gunshot heard everywhere weaving in self conscious motion feeling like we have missed the bullet, day and night the gun sound filled our ears we keep sleeping with one eye open, gun sounds raves the night . At this moment I am really cold starring at my little brother, he was shivering in the cold of the night what I can do to be able to reduce his shaking. Taking my shirt off to be able cover him raising my head I saw a woman leaning of the wall blood covered feeling afraid hoping not to get into a position that may not jell well with me. Moving with caution I tip toed onto the woman looking left and right, heart pounding, mind racing. with every step I calculate it, from  that moment I started praying although I knew I stopped believing in god for 10years now so I seemed that I won’t get a good answer to that prayer. With every movement and every subtle sound my heart raced looking vigilantly like a mad dog, I got to the wounded woman and she quickly shock in fear and beg me not to hurt her. Don’t be afraid please I can see you are hurt am also running from those men, how did you get hurt and where? Which part of this state do you reside and which part of the country are you from. Uhhhh! She screamed in pain I then realize I was irrational in my approach to her. I took her to where I and my brother hid; with the little I was able to gather and after some days passed she recovered. I decided that   it would be better to leave that particular place since the insurgence was not getting any better we left. We got to another place where we met other refugees that were able to escape being killed. As we reside there we got meet different people from different places, then while I was talking to two of my new friends, Patrick and king. They inquired to know if she was my wife. I realized that I knew not about her oh! I exclaimed. How is this possible that I did not ask  of her name, I searched for her on seeing her I sitting alone and staring  at the clouds I got close to her I realized that she was in tears, drawing near I asked her what the matter was she replied with nothing. Ok if you say so emm! Not to be rude but I am sorry for not being a gentle man and introduce myself properly to you and you to me. I am ebuka from Nigeria and my brother’s name is Augustine. What is your name if I may ask, Rita, My name is Rita. We got into a nice discussion that made her reveal to me what had being on her mind, I was born in this city this very city I grew up, I lived with my father who was a wealthy man he had cars and men at his calling, I was the second child of the family my father had five children… (Sorbs) but this is all in the past now I have nothing not a family nor the wealth to cling to how did we ever go wrong? I not knowing what to do looked at her with the eyes of a confused being I thought that my own problem was worse that anyone but what I had in front of my I couldn’t handle

Written by :Ukam Dennis

Comments

Popular Posts