MY SIBLINGS

Women are really wonderful creatures, loving and powerful. Meeting Dorothy was a problem in disguise. She was a really beautiful damsel. I was a student at the University of Calabar when I met Dorothy in my year one. She was calm, gentle and always had a smile. Anytime I saw her, i could hardly speak. I just kept staring at her like a fool. My friends would always make fun of me and call me a woman. My closest friend Michael advised me to go speak to her and stop fooling around. I mustered up courage and walked up to her. I could feel my legs shaking and my voice cracking as I said "Hello Dorothy, I’ve been meaning to speak to you”. She gave me a smile and replied."Hi, I hope there is no problem?”I said "No, I just need to ask you something". She nodded and was waiting for my request. I tried to speak but the words were not forth coming. I wished the ground would just open and swallow me. She gave me a smile and asked me to speak, then my tired tongue loosen and I said "I would like to go on a date with you" She gave me no reply and walked away. I've never felt so embarrassed in my entire life. I have always thought asking a girl out was very easy not until this very day.
I
went back to my friend Michael and he could not hold back his laughter, he
laughed so loud that I felt so humiliated. He said "You were too slow and unromantic"
I resolved to focus on my studies and stay away from any relationship. I always
took different routes anytime I saw Dorothy, until one beautiful afternoon when
I sat with my friend discussing some issues. Dorothy walked up to me and asked
to see me. I followed her like a sheep to the slaughter. She then told me she
had agreed to go on a date with me. I felt so happy and informed my friends.
They made me look good for the date and I looked into the mirror I could hardly
recognize myself. We met at an eatery outside the school and ordered something
to eat. We began discussing about ourselves and soon we were engrossed in the
discussion that we lost count of time. I paid for the food and we boarded a
taxi back to school. I dropped her at her hostel and to my greatest surprise
she gave me a hug. My head fluttered and my stomach mumbled. She gave me a
smile and walked majestically into the hostel.
Immediately I got into the room, my friends
wanted to get a gist of the event. I told them how it all went, the food, our
discussion and the hug I got. They were so happy and applauded me from that day.
Dorothy and I became friends and from friendship we became lovers. In our final
year in school I proposed to Dorothy and she gave me a big yes. I felt on top
of the world and getting married to Dorothy was a dream. After graduation I
began searching for a job. It was tough but I got a job in a big company. I
called Dorothy and informed her, she shouted into the phone and I knew she was happy.
We planned a date to meet our parents, and a date for the marriage was fixed.
Our wedding was the talk of the town. It was
graced by most of our course mates and lecturers. After our wedding Dorothy
could not take in. I was so confused. We went from one hospital to another but
we were confirmed medically okay. Dorothy and I had sleepless nights thinking
of our childlessness. She decided to get a job to ease her pain but no job was forthcoming
most of the time when I was away on business trips she spends the weekends with
my parent. Soon Dorothy told me she was pregnant. My joy was full"I
would be a father soon”. I was so happy pampered her like an egg and made sure she
never lacked anything. One night Dorothy woke me up and told me she was having
some pains at her back. We quickly got something’s ready and proceeded to the hospital.
I was so restless kept praying for safe delivery. I called my parents and in
the morning they arrived at the hospital. The doctor came out. The doctor came
out and shook my hand and said "Congratulations, your wife gave birth
to two beautiful girls”. I was so happy that I gave the doctor a hug. I ran to
check on my wife and children and they were perfectly okay. After two days,
they were discharged and we went home. My mom came home to look after my wife
and children. We had a big naming ceremony and I named them precious and
Praise.
My daughters grew so quickly and soon they
started school and before I knew it they were already eight years but something
unfortunate happened. I lost my job, Life became very difficult, and i could
hardly cater for the family. Dorothy changed, she began to nag and
complain about everything. I could not believe this was the woman I married,
she always looked for opportunities to get in a fight with me.On this faithful day,
and she refused to let me go out. I could not take it. I had a job interview to
attend and I was very late. I beat her mercilessly and Dorothy said something
that shattered my life."You impotent fool" I was very shocked and
asked her to explain what she meant being but she did not reply. She kept making
life unbearable for me and I decided to send her out of the house. She insisted
on taking precious and Praise along with her. We began arguing and she said
"You are not even their father”. I was shocked, felt like strangling the b***h, I could not believe what I just
heard."They are my children", I said to myself. She ran out of the house
before I could get hold of her. I decided to get a DNA Test to confirm my
wife's claim and to my amazement the results stated clearly that they were not
my kids.
I felt like a fool."How could a woman I
called my wife ruin my life?" I searched for her but could not find her. I
decided to visit her parents and to my amazement she was there.
She came and asked me what the problem was. I asked her who the father of those
kids was but she would not open up. I begged almost kneeling before her. She
said something that stole my peace."Your father is responsible; they are
your siblings”. My world fell apart. What wrong did I do to deserve this kind of humiliation? I left with
anger in my heart and decided to deal with her in a very special way. I went to
my parent’s house. The sight of my father was like acid on my body. How could such a man be called my father. I told my mother what I found out but mom would not believe
it. She said it was a false accusation that she never liked my wife and she
knew she was trouble at first sight. I kept insisting that dad was not who she
really thought he was, and that he was having an affair with my wife. I showed
her the DNA result, and at the realization that I was saying the truth, she slumped.
I rushed her to the hospital while I gave my father the beating of his life. I
loved my mom so much but I and mom were so unfortunate to have married the
wrong people. I was arrested by the police and beaten for beating up my father.
Dorothy ruined my family. She told me they were my kids but I found they were
my siblings. How could women be so cruel?
WRITTEN BY:OKARA FAVOUR
EDITTED BY:AUGUSTINE PATRICK
PROOFREAD BY:ELEMI ASA
WRITTEN BY:OKARA FAVOUR
EDITTED BY:AUGUSTINE PATRICK
PROOFREAD BY:ELEMI ASA
ABOUT THE WRITER
Okara Favour Eneyi is an undergraduate student of English and literary studies, University of Calabar. She loves to write and share life's experiences with people. She believes every story is important and needs to be heard. She aspires to change lives and perceptions through her writeups.

Comments
Post a Comment